Big Veda

In Hinduism, a Veda is a knowledge or truth writing. I don't pretend that this stuff is anything more than rumination. But through writing it I find a bit of knowledge or truth. Hope you find some truth too. PAX

18.10.05

Deception at Four Years

On Friday, I took my kids to Washington Square Mall for the afternoon. Their official reason for wanting to go to the mall was that they wanted to play at the indoor playground. What they really want to do is go eat at the McDonald's fifty feet away from the playground. I know this but I take them anyway. Four year olds have a highly developed aptitude for cloaking their agendas. It goes something like this:

7:30am:

Quincy - "Daddy, can we go to McDonald's for lunch today?"
Me - "No"

10:30am:

Quincy - "I want to go to the mall today."
Me - "Why?"
Quincy - "I want to play at the playground."
Me - "There's a playground across the parking lot."
Quincy - "But that one doesn't have Mt. Hood in it."
Me - "Good point."

By noon we are in the car on our way to the mall. When we get to the mall the kids make a full-press to the playground where there they run into this mix of madness that resembles the bleacher seats at Wrigley Field. There is crying, fighting, laughter, and the occasional stink of a full diaper.

After some running around, the four year old's ruse continues...

Quincy - " Daddy? "
Me - "Yes?"
Quincy - "I'm thirsty."
Me - "Lucky you. I brought a bottle of water with us."
Quincy - "But Daddy, I just don't want water."
Me - "Well, what do you think you would like, a Beer?"
Quincy - "No daddy, I want some hic." (this is what Quincy calls Hi-C)
Me - "Where do you think we could find some?"
Quincy - "Well daddy, McDonald's has some and it's just over there."

The deception is complete.

Do I refuse this request? No way. After the planning that went into that scheme, that kid deserves a cup of hic.

PAX

E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home